This is a lovely luxurious dessert that’s surprisingly easy to put together. Clouds of light, creamy syllabub are topped with tart rhubarb compote & pieces of crystallised ginger – the flavours go beautifully with the strawberry notes in the Bolney Estate Rosé Cuvée
For the compote:
- 400g rhubarb
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 300g golden caster sugar
- 300ml water
For the syllabub:
- 100g mascarpone
- 300ml double cream
- 50g icing sugar
- Crystallised ginger pieces
- Start by making the compote. In a large saucepan, mix the sugar and water, and heat gently until all the sugar has dissolved. In the meantime, chop the rhubarb into bite-sized pieces.
- When the sugar has disappeared, add the rhubarb, lemon juice and fresh ginger to the water. Bring to a gentle simmer and leave for about ten minutes, or until the rhubarb has become really soft and falls apart when prodded.
- Strain the rhubarb to remove excess liquid (don’t throw this away – mix it with lemonade or sparkling water for a lovely non-alcoholic cocktail) and allow to cool.
- To make the syllabub, whisk the mascarpone, double cream and icing sugar together until thick and just holding its shape – don’t overbeat it.
- Finally, to assemble the dessert, divide the syllabub between four glasses and top with compote. Finish off with a few crystallised ginger pieces.