"This is a fabulously comforting pasta dish, perfect with the warm, spicy flavours of Kayra Okuzgozu. Tagliatelle is wrapped up in a rich tomato sauce full of tender lamb, beautifully complemented by the flavours of fennel and oregano."
You Will Need...
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 fat garlic clove
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- Olive oil, for frying
- 250g lamb shoulder, cut into chunks
- A glass of strong red wine
- 6 large fresh tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- Black pepper
- A small handful of fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 225g tagliatelle
- Finely dice the onions, carrot and garlic, and fry gently with the fennel seeds in a generous splash of olive oil. Once the onions have softened, add the lamb and brown it all over for a few minutes.
- Once the lamb has lost its pink colour, add the red wine, stir well and let it all bubble for a few more minutes. In the meantime, roughly chop the tomatoes, and then add to the pan with the tomato puree and a small splash of water.
- Stir it all together and then leave the sauce to simmer, uncovered, on the hob for one and a half hours. Stir it every now and then, and once the liquid has reduced and it starts to look nice & thick, turn the heat right down and put the lid on.
- Cook the tagliatelle according to the instructions on the packet. Season the sauce to taste, and then drain the pasta and mix through the sauce. Serve topped with a sprinkling of fresh oregano and Parmesan.
Subscribe to our Food and Wine Matching blog ►