Roast duck leg with white beans and spinach
This recipe is the perfect healthy and hearty dish leading into more autumnal flavours. We love pairing it with a glass of Budureasca Tamiaosa Romaneasca.
2 duck legs
Generous pinch of sumac
200g dried haricot beans
2 large handfuls of spinach
3 cloves garlic
500ml chicken stock
Large knob of butter
Small bunch of parsley, chopped
- Cover the beans with cold water and leave to soak overnight.
- Season the duck legs well on both sides with salt, pepper and sumac. Roast for 90 minutes at 180 degrees C (160 in a fan oven), then rest for 5 minutes.
- Finely chop the onion and garlic, and melt the butter in a cast-iron casserole dish. Sweat the onions and garlic for around 10 minutes at a medium heat.
- Add the beans and the stock to the casserole dish, bring to the boil and cover. Simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Turn up the heat and cook uncovered for a final 15 minutes, adding a splash of water if the beans are getting too dry.
- Season the beans, then stir in the spinach and parsley. Serve with in bowls with the duck on top.