Crab toast with homemade aioli
This quick, summery dish is a great lunch or an elegant starter. Making your own aioli is surprisingly simple, but it adds a wonderful flavour boost of lemon, garlic and tarragon, and the fresh sweetness of the crab is the perfect partner to the floral, citrus Terra Tangra Tamianka Muskat.
Makes 4 slices
- 200g white crab meat (tinned is fine)
- 4 thick slices of sourdough
- Olive oil
For the aioli:
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- A small handful of fresh tarragon, finely chopped
- Black pepper
- 230ml vegetable oil
- Start by making the aioli. In a bowl, use an electric whisk to mix together the egg yolk, crushed garlic clove, lemon zest, lemon juice and mustard. Then, with the whisk running constantly, start adding the vegetable oil – first in tiny amounts, and then larger ones – until the aioli is thick, smooth and very pale yellow.
- Next, drain and rinse the crab meat, and then mix through the aioli. Season with black pepper and a generous pinch of salt, and then stir through a little fresh tarragon.
- Place a frying pan on a high heat. Drizzle the sourdough with olive oil and then toast each slice in the pan until crispy and golden on both sides.
- Finally, top each slice of bread generously with the crab and aioli mix. Finish off by sprinkling with a little more fresh tarragon and grated lemon zest.